Monday, December 19, 2005

FORGIVING....

To err is human, to forgive divine.
I wonder how much of this divinity exists in the world... do we actually forgive all those who hurt us... or do we just accept the situation and make a compromise. I mean I can forgive people I’d say, but I don't forget the hurt very easily. Once I say I have forgiven someone I never look back to the mistake, would never hold it against that person. But the experience just doesn't leave me... it might take years before it fades out... does it mean that I don't really forgive, I just accept the situation in a hope that the person is truly repenting and would not repeat the mistake. After all what has happened can't be reversed... but it can be mended... made up for. I guess that is what punishments are for?! But the idea of punishing someone isn't very appealing to me either…
There have been times when I have hurt the people around me... knowingly unknowingly... and sometimes I have been forgiven, sometimes I had to pay for my mistake. But I remember times I have been forgiven better... those times have left a mark on me. Cos when I make a mistake and get punished for it, I don't have any complaint... that becomes a closed chapter... I was wrong and got what I deserved. On the other hand when I’m forgiven I can't get over the guilt feeling, I try to make sure I don't make the same mistake again...
Before forgiving a person... I feel... we need to forgive ourselves too. We have to know that it's all right to make mistakes... and that it takes a lot of courage to admit a mistake. And once we can understand that, we can relate to the person's pain and forgive the person. I guess that is what makes forgiving so difficult... and this why forgiveness is the key to happiness. Every time I have forgiven someone, I have experienced a strange peace within me as if I have called a truce with myself...
But I wonder what does one do... if the person doesn't want forgiveness.... when we don't get a chance to end the battle we fight within us.... when we don't know whether to accept things as they are or react to them...

4 comments:

Rini Abraham said...

We must forgive ourselves in order to forgive others....
Yes, if someone takes time to forget the incident...it really means tht forgiveness has not really come from the heart.

Try this once...when a person hurts u, and says sorry. Say "its ok" and then...try to do smthin nice for tht person... or, try to treat tht person... trust me.. THAT is when u'll knw tht u've really forgiven him/her.

:) and u'll see the hurt vanish.
take care
sups
love ya!!

Rohit Mahajan said...

hey sups, donno what to say...just that u people teach so many good things...keep up the good work!!!

And one thing, u can forgive only those about whom u care enough to have a conflict....

Arjun said...

To err is human..
to blame it on someone else, is more so!

Nice post. I like the way you write. Simple, and unfabricated. I try a lot... but fail miserably.

Tony Sebastian said...

sorry im late sups...forgive me ;) hey jus tht u think of it this way shud b enuf for u to knw tht u r indeed a person who takes the right step in relns...there are no winners or losers in a fight...lovely sups go on!!