Monday, January 01, 2007

Finished at last ;)

Fountainhead…. It took me a long time to finish this book… quite unlike me but the book is way too descriptive. Especially towards the end it seemed to stretch like a piece of gum chewed and tasteless. I somehow failed to witness the miracle was expecting to see; the end and description deceived the content. I guess I do agree to the thought that has been conveyed in the book but it’s more like a fact thrust in to the face of the common man and he has accepted it and decided to live with it consciously or unconsciously. The book itself symbolizes, the worship of mediocrity, anything that doesn’t take you a mind of your own to understand is easily accepted and praised and so is this book. I am not trying to say that it’s a piece of crap getting glorified for no reason, I feel it’s the proof what it’s trying to sell. Every character has been exaggerated to most simplified version, one man epitomizing one trait… but I guess that’s how it works. What amused me the most was the way people try to relate to it, the way they actually go out of their way to abide by the book it’s almost like Peter Keating feeding himself in the writings of Lois Cook or preaching of Ellsworth Toohey. Before I read the book I met many a Howard Roark, their conviction to be someone else itself seemed to betray them before I could understand what they had been talking about. It’s a modern classic no doubt and it deals with reality and symbolizes it, but the idea lacks originality, it’s a general and rational observation…. But then again even that is so rare that it truly deserves all the acclaim it has gathered. It’s been almost heartening to see the world being acknowledge as it is… had I not gone through the glorification of it before I had read the book, I would’ve enjoyed it more.

1 comment:

Parul said...

Hi Sudipti Didi,
Nice thoughts. About fountainhead, I felt the same way you did. The book is repetitive. People who read it and follow it, try to copy Howard Roark, which itself contradicts Miss Rand's Philosophy.